Like/follow us

Who is responsible for contents insurance and why do I need it as a tenant?

Did you know that between 60 and 80% of tenants renting in Brighton and Hove currently have no contents insurance for their possessions? In this blog post, we explain who is responsible for contents insurance and the reasons you should carefully consider taking out a policy as a tenant.

Landlords’ will most likely have insurance to cover the property including the buildings and sometimes fixtures and fittings, but they are not responsible for insuring their tenants’ possessions. 

Contents insurance is there to help protect your possessions if anything happens to them, for example a fire, flood or burglary.

Contents insurance is there to give you peace of mind that your personal possessions will be covered should the worst happen. It will ensure you have the funds to replace your items without paying more than the agreed excess, which is usually around £150-500. 

Whether or not you decide to take out content’s insurance is entirely up to you. It is not required by law and no-one can insist you take out an insurance policy as part of your tenancy agreement, when renting in Brighton and Hove. Knowing your landlord isn’t responsible for your contents may make you consider carefully the benefits of having home contents insurance.

Despite the name, home contents insurance isn’t just for homeowners. You probably still have your own possessions, from clothing to electronics and furniture and if an accident does happen, you may find yourself out of pocket.

When you take out content’s insurance, you will be asked to value your possessions. This can be tricky, but we have a few top tips to help:

  1. Be accurate – it may be tempting to over or under-estimate your possessions to reflect your insurance premium, but you need to imagine your entire property being burgled and how much it would cost to replace everything in there, as this is what insurance is for.
  2. The little things – Don’t forget the little things like bedding, towels, light pendants etc.
  3. Keep receipts and take photos – This is true of your bigger purchases, such as TV’s, Laptops etc. 
  4. Added extras – you may need to add any antiques or jewellery and insure these separately. 
  5. Working from home – some insurance policies do not cover this, so it’s worth checking if your laptop and printer are covered if you work from home.
  6. Re-evaluate every year – Don’t forget to add any new items you got for Christmas to your policy.

It’s worth noting that if you’re moving into a fully furnished flat, it is up to the landlord to ensure their items are covered with insurance and is not your responsibility as a tenant. 

There are, of course, many other things to consider when renting a property in Brighton and Hove. At Young Lee, we are here to help you every step of the way. 

We’re always happy for you to give us a ring, or to pop into the office for a chat to discuss anything and everything when it comes to letting in Brighton and Hove. Whether you have one question or one hundred questions, we are always more than happy to help. 

Get in touch with us today on 01273 005599 or email

Sign up for our latest property news